Quicksilver Outer Reef Info
QUICKSILVER - Australia's most awarded reef cruise company
For your experience of a lifetime, Quicksilver's wave piercing catamarans and friendly crew will take you to a reef at the very edge of Australia's Continental Shelf, to an underwater world that is a dazzling kaleidoscope of colour and brilliance... Agincourt Reef, a magnificent ribbon reef where you can experience the magic that is the Great Barrier Reef.
Why we like it:
- Agincourt Ribbon Reef - clear & pure waters
- Rich coral & spectacular marine life
- Large spacious stable reef activity platform
- Smooth, state-of-the-art, Wavepiercer cruising
- Professional crew and service
- Hot & cold buffet lunch
- Ideal for families & non-swimmers
- Highest ecotourism accreditation
- Great Barrier Reef Post Office Box
- Check in time is 9.15am at the Quicksilver office, at Crystalbrook Marina, Wharf Street, Port Douglas.
- Departs Crystalbrook Marina Port Douglas at 10:00am
- Returns to Crystalbrook Marina at 4:30pm
- Free Parking is available
- Return hotel transfers from Cairns & Northern Beaches available
- Cairns pick-up times from 8.00am
- 3.5 hours at Agincourt Reef
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Hot and cold tropical smorgasbord lunch
- Reef presentation by marine biologist
- Snorkelling equipment (mask, fins, snorkel), Buoyancy vests and flotation noodles.
- Snorkelling instruction provided
- Underwater observatory fish & coral viewing
- Semi-submersible coral viewing
- Fish feeding conducted by crew
- Change Rooms & Freshwater Showers
- Sun Deck
- Lycra suits
- Undercover tables and seating
- EMC (reef tax)
Your day at a glance: Boarding Time
10.00am Depart Reef Marina, Port Douglas
10.30am Snorkelling demonstration and Introductory dive information presentation
11.30am Arrive Outer Barrier Reef - Reef activities commence:
- Enjoy free swimming and free snorkelling from submerged platform
- Underwater observatory open for coral and fish viewing
- 20 minute Semi-sub tours depart every fifteen minutes from the rear of the platform
- Pre-booked guided snorkelling tours with Marine Biologist ( extra cost )
- Diving and helicopter scenic flights ( extra cost )
- Fish feeding conducted at snorkelling platform at advertised times
12 noon Hot and cold five star tropical buffet lunch including fresh prawns, pastas, meats, salads and fruit. There are full bar facilities available where you can purchase drinks. The platform has tables for you to enjoy lunch and undercover seating
1.30pm Lunch finishes. Time for more activity or just relax and take in the view!!
3.00pm Depart Agincourt Reef for Port Douglas. Reef video and photo viewing on board
4.30pm Arrival at Reef Marina, Port Douglas
The Platform at Agincourt Reef Site: Floating like an island in a coral sea the platforms have tables for you to enjoy lunch, undercover seating, fresh water showers and change rooms to allow you to enjoy your day. There is also a water powered lift to allow easy access for all passengers.
Semi-Submersible Coral Viewing: If you would like to stay dry, then you can explore the stunning reef from the comfort of a Quicksilver sub. The semi submersibles cruise slowly through the colourful coral gardens giving passengers the opportunity to experience a snorkelers-eye view of the marine life. The semi-sub experience takes approximately 20 minutes and includes an informed commentary on the marine life observed during the journey and an overview of the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef.
Underwater Observatory: You can also see the coral and watch the fish feeding from Quicksilver's unique viewing platform and underwater observatory located directly in front of the platform. From here, you can also view "first time" divers taking part in introductory dives and snorkelers.
Snorkelling: Snorkelling is one of the best ways to view the incredible underwater world of the Great Barrier Reef, and Quicksilver's friendly staff are on hand to show you how. On your way out to Agincourt Reef you can view an instructional video on how to snorkel to teach you the right techniques.
Agincourt Ribbon Reefs: The very edge of the Great Barrier Reef. Here, special reefs known as 'ribbons' run parallel to the Continental Shelf. Adjacent to the Coral Sea trench, these ribbon reefs are recognised as the most pristine eco-systems in the reef's environment. Clear water provides the best possible underwater visibility, encourages rich coral growth and supports spectacular marine life. As the region's outer reef pioneer, this is the best location available to view nature's finest.
Optional Extra Costs:
- Certified diving
- Introductory diving
- Ocean Walker Helmet Diving
- Underwater cameras available for purchase
- Underwater digital cameras available to hire
- Professional photo service available on-board
- Reef Scenic Helicopter flights
- Cairns & Port Douglas Accommodation Transfers, Pick up times start at 8am from Cairns. Return to Cairns at 6pm.
If you would like to learn more about magnificent marine life of this fragile eco-system, you may like to try a guided snorkel tour. Our University qualified marine biologists will intoduce you to a new and exciting world. We offer two different snorkel tours designed to enable passengers to enjoy an amazing in-water experience on the reef regardless of snorkelling skill level.
10 minute Heli flight from Outer Reef Pontoon: While at the reef, take a scenic helicopter flight and marvel at the sheer magnitude and beauty of one of the world's most fascinating natural wonders.
Introductory Snorkel Tour - for beginners
Designed for the novice/beginner snorkeller
Provides an introduction to the marine environment
Tailored for families and those wanting educational experience
Marine biologist tows safety float and whistle
Duration: 30-40 minutes depends on conditions and passenger experience.
Advanced Snorkel Tour - some expererience recommended
For the more adventurous - some snorkelling experience is recommended.
This tour is more about exploring, and the marine biologists encourage and teach passengers how to duck dive (if you would like to learn).
Tours generally leave from the platform, but sometimes may involve a drop-off from a small tender, so participants can cover a greater distance, and have the chance to “drift with the current”, before returning to the platform.
Distance travelled can be up to several hundred metres.
Duration: 45-60 minutes depends on conditions and passenger experience.
Ocean Walker or "Helmet Diving" Unique & Fun!
Experience the feeling of diving wearing a helmet and breathing normally
No swimming involved - just walk down the steps to the platform
You can wear your glasses and keep your hair dry!
Souvenier certificate on completion of your helmet dive
Min age 12 yrs., Min height 135cm.
What To Bring:
- Swimming costume and beach towel
- Hat, sunscreen and shirt for sun protection, sunglasses
- Credit cards for shopping and optional tours
- Cash for drinks at the bar
Multi-lingual staff members: Quicksilver does have Chinese crew members on this boat all year round. Please request this option when booking so that we can make sure the staff member is working on your day of travel.
All payments made to Travstar do not incur a credit card surcharge.