Reef Quest Info
Deep Sea Divers Den premier new vessel Reef Quest offers luxury and comfort and visits some of the very best sites available on the Outer Great Barrier Reef in only 90 minutes.Reef Quest boasts a huge dive deck fully equipped with brand new dive gear of the highest standards.
The trip offers passengers the opportunity to participate in up to three dives at two different Outer Reef locations. Deep Sea Divers Den has access to 17 exclusive moorings on the Outer Great Barrier Reef at Norman, Saxon and Hastings Reef to ensure diverse diving and minimal environmental impact on our Great Barrier Reef. Dive sites are chosen on the day by the vessel's Captain for the best variety and visibility according to the weather conditions.
Large boat, small numbers : Reef Quest is licensed to carry 125 passengers, however these numbers will be capped at 80 passengers to ensure maximum comfort on board for all guests. It is air conditioned on two levels and has three spacious sundecks.
Offering fantastic value for money that will take you on the magnificent Great Barrier Reef in only 90 minutes for a full day of unlimited snorkelling. Certified Divers get the chance to do up to three dives in one day. All equipment is included.
Snorkelling is the easiest way to discover the Great Barrier Reef, it is as simple as breathing. If you have never snorkelled before, don’t worry, a briefing is held on board, explaining how to put and use the snorkelling gear. All of the snorkelling equipment you will require is supplied as part of your trip.
What makes it Great?
- Luxury vessel
- Quality equipment
- Two reef sites
- 90 mins travel time
- Passenger numbers limited to 80
Daily from Cairns Marlin Marina (near Reef Fleet Terminal) - 'C' Finger at 8:30am (check-in 8:00am at the boat).
Returns to Cairns at approximately 4:30pm.
- Snorkel equipment including mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit or stinger suit, floatation noodle
- Prescription mask hire (deposit required)
- Guided snorkel tour
- Tropical Buffet Lunch of cold cuts, salads and fruits
- Tea, Coffee and chilled water
With 17 exclusive moorings on the Outer Great Barrier Reef at Norman, Saxon and Hastings reefs.
The dive sites are frequented by myriads of tropical and Palegic Fish, Rays, Turtles, (friendly) Sharks and the ever popular diver friendly Maori Wrasse. There are swim throughs, wall and drift dives that will appeal to every level of diver experience.
The dive sites are chosen on a daily basis by the vessel Captains for the best variety and visibility according to the weather conditions.
Extras available on board (extra cost):
- Bar purchases (drinks, snacks, alcohol)
- Introductory or Certified dives
- Dive guide for Cert Divers ($15/dive)
- Photo purchase
- Digital camera hire/photo purchase
Reef & Port Authority Charge (Reef Tax)
Introductory diving requires no previous diving experience. If you are able to swim, you can usually dive. The only requirement is that you are 12 years old or more and you will be asked to fill out some paperwork, including a medical statement. (see below).
Whilst you are on your way to the Great Barrier reef you will be given a briefing outlining what is involved (usually about 45 minutes). This briefing will outline the procedures that will make your experience a safe and unforgettable one (the diving skills, the communication under water, some explanation about the marine wildlife).
On your arrival at the reef, you will start by practicing with your equipment on the surface. Once you are comfortable with those skills, you practice them again, this time below the surface (only a few feet).
Finally when you feel comfortable, it's time to dive. Relax and enjoy!
The supervision by a highly qualified dive instructors is very close at all times, there will be a maximum of 4 divers with 1 instructor. You will go to a maximum depth of 12 m (40ft) and these dives generally last around 1/2 hour.
During the dive you can expect to see the Great Barrier Reef in all its glory - You will discover excitement and adventure - freedom and serenity. Nothing compares to the "weightless" exhilaration of breathing underwater.
If you would like to make the most of your experience or if you haven’t been diving for a certain time and don’t feel really confident going with a buddy, ask one of the friendly crew members for a shared guided dive (at extra cost, $15 per dive/person ). It is the best way to see the reef as guides know where to take you to see the best spots and wildlife.
During your day trip, you will be able to dive in two different locations on the reef, chosen according to the weather conditions and visibility.
What to bring:
Hat, Towel, Swimsuit
Certified divers please bring C-cards & log books
- Mobile network reception is available throughout most of the trip on the Telstra NextG Network.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SCUBA DIVING:
Flying and altitude after diving:
- Deep Sea Divers Den recommends waiting a minimum 24 hours whenever possible.
- These are guidelines only, there is no guarantee that these recommendations will prevent decompression sickness.
- Altitude is 300m/1000ft above sea level.
This includes going to the Atherton Tablelands, so be careful when you are booking tours to follow your dive trip.
- Under normal circumstances, you should be out of the water on your last dive at 12pm (midday), this should help with organising any travel plans you have after your dive trip.
- If you are doing an introductory dive you will be asked to fill out and sign the following form: Cairns Introductory Diver Form (275KB)
- If you answer YES to any questions further medical clearance may be required. This must be arranged prior to day of departure. - If you have a medical question, please feel free to contact Cairns 24 Hour Medical Centre, Cnr Grafton & Florence Streets, Cairns - Phone 07 4052 1119
- If you are a certified diver you will be asked to fill out and sign an Advice to Divers Form.
- Medical Standards differ from country to country, certain medication / medical conditions may preclude you from diving in Australia.
- If you answer Yes to any of the questions below, further medical clearance may be required. (This must be organised at least the day before your trip start date). In some circumstances you may be able to dive, with a certified professional (Dive Guide), at an additional cost.
GREAT NEWS! All payments made to Travstar do not incur a credit card surcharge.
Reef Quest Rates
All prices shown in Australian Dollars
Prices valid from now until 31 March 2021
|Snorkel Day Trip||Adult||Children||Family||Enquire|
|Snorkel Day Trip||$215
Prices valid from Prices valid from now until 31 March 2021
Child = 3 - 11 years old
WE DO NOT CHARGE BOOKING FEES OR CREDIT CARD SURCHARGES
Need Help With Your Booking?Our Cairns Office is open again in 9 hours
About Travstar Booking Requests
There are some things a computer can't do.
We love helping people plan their holidays and we want to make sure we get it right.
Some holiday packages can be quite complicated with multiple tours and accommodation, pick-up times and extras.
That's why every booking made through a Travstar Website is checked by our local consultants.
It takes a little bit longer to get your tickets but we want to make sure everything is going to run smoothly for you.
How long wil it take to get my tickets?
Our team are alerted to new booking requests as they come in. During office hours you can expect to have your tickets within an hour or two.
After office hours your tickets may take up to 12 hours to arrive.